Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Family, 

The week went super fast. We were super busy but I loved it.

Monday morning we left to go to Arica and we were on the bus for about 12 hours and then arrived that night at 10pm.

Tuesday morning we went to the district meeting of one of the zones and then that night we worked with the zone leaders. I worked with elder Hart. He went to Davis high school and he played football up there. He is a great guy and a great missionary. We had a great exchange and we were able to participate in various ways

One thing that I have started to do with the missionaries is before we start the exchange I teach them about a principle from preach my gospel. Something that we are really trying to implement into the mission. While working we looked for opportunities to apply what we had talked about and we also worked in various parts of the work

There are 3 zones in Arica and we worked with them on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday and then Friday we returned to Antofagasta.

The best exchange I had was on Thursday. We had some great teaching experiences and specifically in one lesson the spirit was powerful. We were teaching a man whose family are members of the church, but he is not a member. We had a great lesson with him as we finished the lesson about the plan of salvation and eternal families. He accepted to be baptized, and we could see tears of joy coming down his face. I felt so much love for this man and his family and I wanted to help them in anyway possible. As we left he was asking us with excitement when we could return, and if we could return tomorrow. It is awesome to see the spirit work in the lives of the people and for them to desire to have that same feeling more in their own lives. 

It was great to get out and work with the missionaries. I felt like I was back in my own groove again. I had a great time doing intercambios and I also had a lot of time on a bus to get to know my companion better.

During the week we had about an hour and a half break before leaving to the other sector. Elder Villarroel said that we could go and visit some of my converts. So we went to the first in Arica. His name is Jorge. He was baptized in January. He lives with some family friends who were less active. We walked over to the house and there were some dogs that were new in the front porch. I thought to myself that they had probably moved to the south of Chile because that is where they were from.

I knocked on the door and no one came to answer. I then knocked the neighbors door to find out if they knew anything about this family or if someone had recently moved in. The neighbor told me that there was a new family that moved in about 4 months ago and I was a little bummed to hear that,  knowing that I probably wouldn't see this family again. I went back to the first house to knock again and suddenly I hear "Elder!", I turn around and I see the Mom of the family in her car with her two kids. I was so happy to see them and they were really happy to see me. They said that they had moved to another ward in Arica and that they thought i had already finished my mission and returned home. I was shocked of how she knew to drive pass by her old house and she said I was driving up the street next to our house and then looked down the old street to where we lived and saw the missionaries knocking the door and then I flipped around and saw that it was you. I was so happy and grateful to Heavenly Father for letting this experience happen and putting me and her in the right place at the right time. We were able to exchange information. It was definitely one of those tender mercies. 

While working this last week with Arica I had such a great experience. I felt so much love for these people. Stronger than I have ever before. I feel like the spirit had increased my capacities to be able to be a more effective tool in the Lords hands.

I love this work so much. Life is great and I am enjoying every minute. This next week we are going to the south to work with 4 zones in the south. Chañaral, Copiapo, Atacama and Vallenar. 

Love you all 

Elder Newman

No comments:

Post a Comment