Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Family, 

I don't really know how to start this letter other than saying that hearing about grandpa definitely was not an easy thing to hear. However the knowledge of the gospel is such a blessing to us with the faith and hope that we will all be together again. 

Last Sunday night I was able to work with Elder Cazier in Vallenar. He is a great missionary and it was probably one of the best exchanges i have had in my whole mission. It is awesome to see the success that is happening throughout the mission as the work hastens. We had our first zone conference in vallenar on Monday and in copiapo on Tuesday. It is interesting how the preparation of the missionaries and those who come really is what makes a zone conference or any meeting we have. If the missionaries come prepared for the zone conference and are ready to learn, there is a great environment where the spirit can teach us great things. There are always some conferences that are better than others.  I had exchanges with missionaries from last Friday night till Wednesday night. But there were some great exchanges that we had. 

It was great to be again with president and sister Dalton and to be able to spend some time with them and get to know them even better while we travel. They are so great and I have learned so much from them. They are doing great things down here in our mission. They were truly called by God to come to this mission. 

Our two investigators Julian and Betty are doing quite well. Betty has gone to church the two past weeks and really likes the church. We are trying to help her keep her commitments so that she can be prepared for her baptism. The baptismal date that we had set for both Betty and Julian is for the 29th of this month. It is hard sometimes because we travel and then have to have the office elders take care of our investigators while we are out of town. It will be that case again this week. 

We are leaving to Arica on Monday to go work with them for 3 days and have their zone conference. Then we will go to Iquique and have their conference with Alto Hospicio on Friday. We will also work with both of those zones. We travel all night long on Friday night to get back to Antofagasta by Saturday. 

One of the less active families who we were working with are now fully active and doing great. They are the Vizcarra family. The father was the one who introduced us to Julian and gave him to us as a referral. Hermano Vizcarra was set apart last week as the 2nd counselor of the Elders Quorum presidency. They are progressing really well as they work to go back to the temple as a family in September. They are helping us find new people to teach and baptize. 

President told me the news about grandpa passing away on Wednesday afternoon. It was really tough to hear that and it did not seem real. I was so blessed to be given such a great grandpa. I cant number the baseball games and football games that grandpa went to, to show his love and support. Grandpa Newman taught me many things. Among them is that he was someone who taught me to just be happy. That no matter what happened in life, we can always treat it with a smile. He taught me how to work hard. I remember going up to grandpas as a little kid and doing errands with him or going out and working in the barn with him. Those are cherished memories. Horse riding, sports, going to golden corral haha, and just spending quality time. But I think more than all of that, Grandpa taught by example of how to be a righteous priesthood holder and lead his family in the right direction. His mark has been left on many and has marked me deeply. I hope to be able to live in a way that I can honor the "Newman" name. How blessed are we to have the knowledge of the Plan of Salvation. 

I want to share my testimony that I know that God lives. I know that we will go on into the eternities together as we strive to live the gospel and do what is right. Jesus Christ is our Savior, and he is central in this plan of happiness. He truly went about telling others to "Be of Good Cheer, for I have overcome the world". I believe that grandpa learned that same principle. That we are going to be alright. That we just need to keep a smile on our faces whatever we do, because we are children of God, and we have so many great blessings and things around us if we just open our eyes to look. I know that Grandpa is now working on the other side of the veil, helping others receive the gospel of Jesus Christ. 

I love you all, Have a great week. 

Elder Newman


No comments:

Post a Comment